Hip to the hop

Whoa, did I see some crazy dance moves at No Malice Palace on Saturday night. Moves so fast and complex that they cannot be recorded by film or digital media, so you'll have to just use your imagination.



Located at 197 E. 3rd St., No Malice Palace is a great place to get your hippity hop on in a non-clubby, non-pretentious environment. The only real sign, seen below, is on the inside of the bar.


Their DJ is great. I can't remember the last time I got to sing along to "Got your money" by ODB (that's Ol' Dirty Bastard for those less in the know). Actually, didn't he change his name to Big Baby Jesus? I digress.

Some negatives about this bar include: there's no beer on tap. I've been there when there's a line and when it's been too crowded. And in terms of the crowd, it's pretty mixed, but leans to the younger side, so it might not be as enjoyable for ladies 30+. I would say the same thing for guys, except that guys seem to like younger girls for some weird reason.

To find No Malice, look for the green light. It does look pretty sketchy outside of the bar with that black curtain over the window. But inside it's fairly normal. Just a long space with a bar up front and then couches as you head towards the back where the dancing happens. There's also an outdoor space, but it closes at 11 on the weekends.

Next time I get the urge to start a hip hop dance crew (which is pretty much everytime I catch an episode of Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Dance Crew) I am heading to this spot to bust a move.

No comments:

Post a Comment